Jan Gerrits Faber laid the foundation in Franeker (The Netherlands) for the current Faber with the founding of a forge. In the first decades, the forge made, in addition to stoves, bicycles, skates, hay and straw presses, beet cutting machines and safes. In 1926, the company relocated from Franeker to Huizum near Leeuwarden. The natural gas field in Slochteren resulted in a run on gas stoves in the 1960s. Faber anticipated this with new products and techniques. In the years that followed deliveries were made via wholesalers and retailers and Faber became market leader for chimney stoves. In 1996, Faber was the first to introduce the closed combustion technique to the market, a technique that was later adopted by many manufacturers. Since 2000, Faber has been part of the Irish Glen Dimplex Group, the world's largest manufacturer of electrical heaters and electric fireplaces. The total concern has a workforce of over 8500 employees and a turnover of approx. 15 billion euros. In addition to its main facility in Heerenveen, Faber also has facilities in Belgium, the UK and Germany.