Philip Johnson Glass House
Photography by Andy Romer Photography (2013), courtesy of the Glass House, National Trust for Historic Preservation
Philip Johnson Glass House

Philip Johnson Glass House

Architects from New Canaan, United States
The Philip Johnson Glass House, a National Trust Historic Site, offers its 49-acre campus as a catalyst for the preservation and interpretation of modern architecture, landscape, and art, as well as a canvas for inspiration and experimentation honoring the legacy of Philip Johnson (1906-2005) and David Whitney (1939-2005).

The Philip Johnson Glass House was completed in 1949. Inspired by Mies van der Rohe's Farnsworth House (Plano, IL, 1951), its exterior walls are of glass with no interior walls, a radical departure from houses of the time. The Glass House began a fifty-year odyssey of architectural experimentation in forms, materials, and ideas through the addition of many "pavilions"—the Brick House/Guest House, Pond Pavilion, Painting Gallery, Sculpture Gallery, Ghost House, Library/Study, and DaMonsta—and the methodical sculpting of the surrounding forty-acre landscape.
Our Projects
Our Offices
HQ
Philip Johnson Glass House United States
203.594.9884
New Canaan, United States