One of the challenges of the digital age is maintaining continuity with what we love most from prior ages. In design terms that means integrating modernity into historic contexts—either seamlessly or in a way that makes the seams shine. For decades The Breuner Building in Oakland was one of that city’s art deco landmarks. Built in 1931 for the Breuner Furniture Company it loomed over the Broadway commercial district like a deco ocean liner.
Today 2201 Broadway is a multi-tenant commercial building in which cutting edge design from the 1930s provides a framework for cutting edge 21st century concepts of what workplace can be.
Material Used :
1. Furniture & Products - Martin Brattrud, Halcon, Arco
2. Furniture retail - West Elm Office, CB2
3. Custom millwork and specialty finishes - Tamalpais Commercial Cabinetry, Inc.
4. Furniture dealer - POD Office
5. Lighting designer - Niteo