This project is an alterations and additions to an early 1900s two bedroom single-storey semi-detached house. Our client, a builder/developer, approached us with an existing planning approval for the property and engaged us to complete the detail design and interiors for the project. Maximising daylight and green space was a priority. Off-form concrete and Australian timbers were used for the two-storey rear additions which are contained within the existing ridgeline set-out in the original planning approval.
A series of skylights allow daylight to flood the upper floor bedrooms and penetrate deep into the original house via a new stairwell. Structural timbers salvaged from the original building were repurposed as stair treads and shelving.
Although there was an opportunity for rear lane access to potential off-street parking, our client opted to invest in improving the existing garden as they felt landscaping was more a valuable asset than car spaces in the inner city. This was a brave risk to take for a speculative project in Balmain and it has paid off.
An elevated planter filled with succulents provide privacy and a verdant outlook from the upper floor rear bedroom. The palette of interior finishes have been kept crisp, fresh and simple – incorporating concrete, timber, terracotta and stone.
Material Used :
1. Cladding: Prefa ‘Zackenprofil’ extruded aluminium cladding
2. Roofing: Kilp-lok & Custom Orb roof sheeting by Lysaght
3. Facade Cladding: Expresswall FC sheet by Cemintel
4. Timber Floor: Blackbutt hardwood
5. Joinery: ‘London Grey’ Caesarstone benchtop & splashback, Victorian Ash veneer, Blackbutt veneer, Plywood shelving, Recycled timber shelving
6. Sliding Doors & Windows: G James aluminium framed
7. Sanitaryware: Villeroy Boch ‘O.Novo’ handbasin, Villeroy Boch ‘O.Novo’ WC, Bette bath
8. Tapware: Grohe tapware
9. Appliances: Miele ovens, Miele gas cooktop, Miele integrated dishwasher, Miele Washer & Dryer, Fisher & Paykel integrated fridge
10. Lighting: Delta Light ‘Dox 100’ wall light, Delta Light ‘Imax’ downlight, Delta Light ‘Boxy R’ track light
11. Door Hardware: Olivari ‘Link’ lever set & door pulls, Fritsjurgens System M fully concealed door pivot