The project for the former B&W site in the Christianshavn quarter, in the centre of Copenhagen, comprises residential as well as commercial buildings.
The proposal is based on the historical guidelines laid down in 1617 for the design of Christianshavn, and the new buildings are arranged in a simple design, with a clear street system around the Christians Church, which is the centre of the entire area.
The church has a dominant position, commanding a free view of the large surrounding gardens. Architecturally, the complex is split up by letting the heavy buildings define and emphasize the space, whereas the light building volumes stretch towards the harbour.
Openings and ‘slips’ in the building complex provide glimpses of the Christianshavn’s Canal as well as the harbour entrance into the Copenhagen harbour. The office buildings are placed along the Copenhagen harbour, and the housing alongside the Christianshavn's Canal.