Built during the fifties in Almada, the Emídio Navarro Secondary School (1956-1958) was initially performing as a Technical School (Escola Industrial e Comercial de Almada), and later converted into a Secondary School. As Secondary School, the Escola Secundária Emídio Navarro (ESEN) was recently included in a modernization program fund that financed the school’s functional revamp and expansion regarding its optimal performance. The original structural was respected as well as the internal accessibility scheme, which keeps the original vertical access columns and a centralized corridor, articulating two rows of classrooms on both wings of the existant building, now regarded as Unit A.
The ESEN material components, constructive and structural systems were also respected during the inner functional reorganization process, which implied vertical access columns insulation and structural reinforcement. Unit A will house the classroom areas and main complementary functions, whose reorganization will allow full optimization and an overall performance enhancement.
Through the northern entrance and along Unit A’s first floor are displayed the management and the school supportive functions, as well as the library, in direct contact with the urban environment. The gymnasium and sports building (Unit B) was also kept, and the existing canteen was replaced by the gymnasium complementary spaces such as restrooms and health resort. The old workshop functions are now aggregated in the new building (Unit C) distributed along three levels: electric, electronic and mechanical areas on the ground floor, labs and computation technical rooms along the first floor and teacher´s offices and auditorium on the upper floor.
A second new building (Unit D) is proposed housing an indoor sports area on its upper level , the new canteen, the overall social and recreational areas on the ground floor. The outdoor areas were extensively remodeled and reorganized in order to accommodate recreational, convivial / shaded, and sports areas.