The intervention consists of a partial redistribution and refurbishment of a historical bistro in the Dupont Circle neighbourhood of Washington DC for the purpose of creating a new café bar within a portion of the existing space.
The project uses the existing layout and obtains a warm ambiance through the choice of furniture and design elements, while maintaining formal continuity with the existing restaurant as well as the building, constructed in the 1920’s. This effect is achieved thanks to flooring in natural stone with a wooden waist coating; a zinc countertop, ball lights provide the background of this cozy and elegant interior. The choice of furniture and details create an Art Nouveau flavor of mid century European cafés. This balanced transformation allowed the existing facility to diversify its function as both restaurant and café and while providing the restaurant with a fresh image.