Constructed in the early 1880s and incorporating an earlier 1858 cottage structure, ‘Scarba‘ was one of the substantial houses that were constructed in Bondi. Since 1917 the site was used by The Benevolent Society for children and women in need, and later for welfare uses and residential care for the elderly up until the sale of the site to our developer client.
After 90 years as an institutional establishment there was the opportunity to return the building back into a family home. Moreton Manor and its garden is now the focus of the ‘The Moreton’ residential development. Its current modern transformation enriches the property’s grand Victorian Italianate style with respect and simplicity. The works include the reinstatement of verandas and four room layout to the original cottage and the restoration of the Victorian mansion. The addition of a new double-height pavilion allows sunlight and breezes to filter into new north facing living spaces. Transformation of the original sandstone stables structure into a poolside pavilion provides connection to the garden. Adapting the original house to modern living enables the continued preservation of the heritage property, and achieving cultural and environmental sustainability.
The house retains its original joinery while its ornate fireplaces, grand staircase, architraves and decorative cornices have been restored. New stone and timber floors extend into the landscaped gardens incorporating the significant Moreton Bay Figs on the site. Contemporary materials contrast and complement the historic palette of hardwoods, painted masonry and cast iron lace work, forming a grand, aesthetically unified home. New installations such as the cabinetry and carved marble ensuite are inserted into the original building with minimal intervention for the ability for them to be taken away without detriment to the original building fabric. The new additions sit in conversation with the Victorian mansion and the original older cottage – like a child with its parent and grandparent.
Material Used :
1. Flooring: Pietra Florentina stone slab, Existing heritage timber floors
2. Joinery: Nero Marquita marble, Calacatta marble, Polyurethane finish cabinetry
3. Windows & Doors (new): Vitrocsa
4. Sanitaryware: Custom solid marble bath & basins, Roca ‘Meridian’ wall hung toilet
5. Tapware: Vola ‘FS3’ floor standing shower, Vola ‘FS1’ floor standing bath mixer, Vola ‘HV1’ mixer, Hansgrohe ‘Rainshower’ shower
6. Appliances: Gaggenau Oven, Bora cooktop & extractor, Miele Washer & Dryer, Miele integrated refrigerator, Franke sink, Electrolux outdoor BBQ
7. Lighting: Inlite ‘Tuba II’ track lighting, Delta Light ‘Dox 100’ wall light, Bega ’33 361’ outdoor wall washer, Kreon ‘Mini-up’ & ‘Mini-down’ outdoor lighting