Conversion, renovation and exhibition planning for gallery building on Berlinʻs famous museum island
The Old National Gallery, completed in 1876, has changed considerably over the course of its lifetime. Heavily damaged during the war, it was the first of the museums that make up Berlinʻs “Museum Island” ( Museumsinsel ) to undergo complete restoration.
The Old National Gallery is home to the Staatliche Museen zu Berlinʻs main collection of 19th century artwork.
Key challenges during the almost 10-year renovation project included the re-design of the entrance, the creation of two rooms to hold the works of Caspar David Friedrich and Karl Friedrich Schinkel, and the careful installation of new infrastructure for utilities and climate control. All measures were driven by the need to uphold the character of the building and its various areas, and retain the traces of its eventful past for future generations.
Award: Deutscher Architekturpreis, Auszeichnung 2003