The project is the renovation and addition to a one-story Craftsman bungalow built in 1899 and listed on the National Historic Register as a Category 4 structure.
Architecturally the diagram is a “U shaped” courtyard plan; a two story addition, linked to the original partially deconstructed house, with a one story entry, frames a new interior garden. Blue shingle cladding becomes white shiplap boards at the courtyard walls as if to suggest that day light has carved a space into the interior.
The original theme of open edges of light filled porches is used throughout, with a related iteration at the new stair. A skylight spans the entire landing ceiling– invisible from the street – to lift, with light, the compressed height. Set under the large oak at the street it feels as if one is walking up into the canopy and daily creates a moment of delight.