The two-storey house is located in the town of La Garriga, near Barcelona, and it was built in 1884. The House occupies a narrow plot of 5x30 meters next to the old town.
The project had the challenge of rufurbishing the house while keeping it’s memory. The main decision was to keep the original structure and the central staircase in order to preserve the character of this kind of house tipology. Only new elements were added when it was necessary in terms of confort and functionality.
Inner divisions were removed to expand the interior spaces of the house, to gain bigger rooms and to bring more light to the core of the house. The new distribution is organized around the central staircase, which opens at some points to create visual relationtships between the different spaces, and provide them with more light.
The use of traditional materials like bricks, ceramic tiles, wood or natural stone creates a link between the old house and the new intervention.
Flooring: Ceramic, Petra crema, Inalco
Bathroom: Ceramic, Cinca marino, Cinca
Kitchen: Natural stone, natural granite stone, Cosentino