The townhouse, built in 1876, is located in a residential area near the Birsig viaduct. It is part of the streets between the Schützenmattpark and the SBB railway station, whose intact historical building fabric is characterized by typical elements of the industrialization architecture of the late 19th century. The Byfangweg is assigned to the historic protection zone. The freestanding semi-detached house has been rebuilt and altered several times since its original construction. The added staircase bears witness to these interventions.
In the course of the overall renovation, the residential and commercial building will be converted into two apartments. The structural interventions focus on the area of the former access staircase where the missing wet cells were installed. The kitchens animate the rooms facing the garden. These will be connected to the street rooms as enfilade via partly new connecting doors. Despite considerable fire protection measures, the historical building fabric was retained and supplemented in the style of the time. Old and new are stylistically woven together.
On the top floor, the room area of the upper maisonette apartment is created in the former attic. Another new element is the terrace above the staircase, which sits like a bird's nest in the branches of the old trees in the middle of the roof landscape.