1926 was the year of the topping- out ceremony for the Bauhaus Building. It was built at the time, to plans by Walter Gropius, as a college building to be shared by Bauhaus Dessau Design School and the Technische Lehranstalten, a craft college. Much has happened since then. The Bauhaus Building has been converted, expanded and renovated after a fire. It is included on the UNESCO World Heritage List of cultural and natural treasures. It is now the headquarters of the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation, formed in 1994, and attracts about 100,000 tourists every year.
From its foundation by Walter Gropius in Weimar in 1919, the Bauhaus played a special role in the history of culture, architecture, design, art and new media of the twentieth century. As one of the first design colleges, it attracted a series of the most prominent architects and artists of the time. In addition to its role as a place of education, with innovative teaching methods, it was also a centre of production and focal point of international discussion. The present-day work of the Bauhaus Foundation in Dessau consists of three core areas.
Dessau is now home to the second-largest collection on the history of the original Bauhaus, with around 26,000 objects. Some of these can be seen on permanent exhibition in the Bauhaus Building. The Academy, as a centre of learning, offers a one-year interdisciplinary course at the International „Bauhaus Kolleg.“ The program is aimed at architects and town planners from all over the world. Finally the Workshop focuses on contemporary projects.