Queen Mary II, the wife of King William III, had a great affinity for Delftware. In 1689, William and Mary's court relocated from the Loo Palace in Apeldoorn to Hampton Court Palace in Great Britain, where in addition to a room called 'The Delftware Closet', the orangery was also decorated with Delftware. When the orangery was refurbished at the beginning of this century, the pots could not be located. Using old drawings three pots were chosen to serve as originals for the production of twenty-two replicas. As Koninklijke Tichelaar Makkum is the only remaining firm in the Netherlands capable of applying historic techniques and recipes, it was awarded this prestigious assignment.
Specifications: Delftware: the product was formed from local clay and fired. A tin glaze, created in-house, was applied to the fired pots. The painted decoration was applied on top of the raw glaze and then the product was carefully fired a second time.