The apartment is located on the sixth and last floor of a building designed by the architect Innocenzo Sabbatini in the 1920s for the Institute of Social Housing in the Della Vittoria district of Rome.
The renovation consisted of the modernization of a residential apartment of about 84 square meters, which had never been renovated since the 1920s.
The building is one of the first examples of the use of joint masonry and reinforced concrete in Rome. In fact, the ceiling is composed by reinforced concrete with extradosed beams. The rhythm of the beams was maintained and covered by thermal insulation and plasterboard. This pattern is visible above other layers of false ceiling.
The original flooring and some existing features and doors were recovered and maintained in the project. In addition, a restored Piedmont door from 1700 has been inserted as the main pivot of the project.
The apartment floor plan is basically squared. The interior walls, however, respond to the idea of a spinning wheel; everything revolves around this door. Diagonal shapes are spontaneously generated. The contemporary project dialogues with the preexisting one.
The games of light, color, ceilings, new flooring refer always to the idea of the spinning wheel.
During the realization, a door opening was enlarged and stiffened by a metal structure that was maintained visible, as well as parts of the masonry wall.
The openings of the apartment are north and south oriented, the lounge area, the kitchen and the veranda are partially united in the same space and this fact allows the cross ventilation of the apartment.