On the corner of Theresienstraße and Türkenstraße in Munich, the first Munich multi-storey apartment house was built in the 1950s by architect and designer Sep Ruf. The design was completely different from the usual standards: the narrow, 7-storey building still impresses with its openness to the outside and its brightness. As a homage to Sep Ruf’s building, the architects Sauerbruch & Hutton planned their Museum Brandhorst opposite in such a way that you can see the Ruf building mirrored in the entrance area.
The apartment inside the Sep Ruf building encompasses around 115 m² including two balconies. The balconies offer a perfect view of the artistic quarter in the Maxvorstadt district of Munich. The idea behind the renovation was a re-interpretation of the 1950s apartment. Furniture from the 50s, such as chairs and side tables, in combination with modern design, break up the style of the apartment and have an atmospheric effect. The highlight of the apartment is the colour keyboard from Le Corbusiers: In 1959 Le Corbusier expanded the Polychromie Architecturale with 20 more intense colours and an additional colour keyboard. The colours of the walls and the light switches and sockets pick up the colour concept of Le Corbusiers and lend harmony to the apartment.
The following colours were used: 32111 l’ocre rouge moyen – a terracotta tone, 32041 vert anglais clair – a slightly grey green, 4320B blanc ivoire – ivory white, 32010 gris foncé 31 – iron grey and 32034 céruléen pâle – a subtle blue-grey tone. The "polychromie architecturale" is based on the artistic selection of pigments and the repetition of a few primary colours. All 63 colours are natural colours and as such are consistently harmonious. Every colour can be harmoniously combined with any other colour in the system.