The Bakar Precision Cancer Medicine Building (PCMB) is the latest addition to the UCSF Medical Center campus and is the physical culmination of a journey that started a decade ago when Stantec designed the UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay.
Four key design principles inspired the facility’s layout – Precision, Transparency, Integration, and Activation – which Stantec wove throughout the building’s interior and exterior.
- Precision: The combination of glass and metal in a fluid coupling creates a fusion of precision and warmth. The angles of the windows and walls guide the eye creating an intuitive sense of how the building operates.
- Transparency: Patients and passersby can see in and out of PCMB, demystifying the building and humanizing cancer treatment.
- Integration: The design of PCMB strives to unify the patient experience, while completing the sequence of movement across Mission Bay clinical areas, providing easy access to those arriving on public transit.
- Activation: The building invites the surrounding community to understand the care provided within. The design includes subtle, angling walls that create a more generous public domain, with an overhang to provide shelter at some entrances.
PCMB uses an innovative and progressive approach to go well beyond traditional treatment methods. With 179,000-square foot of space, the cancer outpatient building houses 120 rooms for exams and consultations, 47 infusion bays for chemotherapy, and 19 types of imaging services. Furthermore, 20 consultation rooms provide space for supportive programs, including genetic counseling, nutrition and dietary consultations, social work, psycho-oncology, complementary medicine, and symptom management. To support comprehensive recovery, the facility also features a patient resource center with rooms for support groups, exercise classes, physical therapy, financial counseling, and yoga.
Striving to deliver a new generation of precision medicine, PCMB tailors individual care using the detailed knowledge of the unique genetic or molecular information of a particular cancer. This approach is designed to provide effective, novel treatment solutions for each patient. PCMB assembles top researchers, oncologists, surgeons, and other clinicians to foster new treatments and speed their delivery to patients.
Material Used :
1. Nevamar – lobby paneling and cabinet fronts – armoured protection
2. Corian – typical countertops and topcaps – terra collection
3. Cambria – public zone worktops – waterstone collection
4. 3form – wall panels and screens – varia ecoresin
5. Skyline design – patterned glass – custom cantilever patterns
6. Designtex – custom murals – décor glass films
7. Ergon engineered stone – lobby porcelain tile flooring – stone project
8. Sky factory – luminous sky image ceiling panels – image tiles
9. Forbo – linoleum flooring – marmoleum
10. Nora – rubber flooring – noraplan environcare
11. Shaw – carpet tile flooring – color at work
12. Maharam – non-phthalate wallcovering – sari
13. Designtex – wall graphics – bespoke
14. Forms+surfaces – elevator wall panels – bonded metal
15. Acrovyn – wall protection – rigid sheet, cornerguards, handrails, rub strips
16. Mecho shade – window shades – eco-veil