Universal Music Finland’s office is located in a historic industrial building close to the seafront. What used to be an old cable factory now serves as a creative hub for new and legendary Finnish musical talent and the team that makes it all happen. Stunning architectural details remind of the building’s industrial past - the office boasts rough concrete floors and paned windows that reach the entire height of two-story space. To make the most of their prime location and iconic office space, the team hoped for updates that would make their work easier, gatherings more convenient, and everyday tasks more functional. A wish to achieve an overall “cool” factor, in line with Universal’s cutting-edge brand image and business model, was the cherry on top.
Together with a designated task force, we set out to transform the office into a relaxed, inviting and functional work environment where employees and guests alike can feel at truly home. A prime goal was for each visitor to know exactly who they are visiting. An important update was the main lounge area on the ground floor, where artists come to wind down and hang out. With an oversized sectional, a huge oriental rug and velvet curtains emphasizing the height of the space, the lounge was turned into the ultimate hangout space and the epitome of “retro glam meets cozy.” A movable reception desk and modular furniture allow the lounge area to be transformed from a living room to a performance space when needed.
Warm, earthy tones, color blocking, and monochromatic color schemes were used as creative tools for differentiating and accentuating separate spaces within the office. A spectrum of materials, from disco-style mirrors to raw copper and blackened steel creates a unique look with true edge. With an updated floor plan and smaller desks as per the client’s wish, the crowded office space became more spacious and now offers workstations for more employees than before. A previously unused water station on the second floor was turned into a fully equipped bar in the heart of the open-plan work area, complete with a table and stools that invite employees to gather and enjoy their entire office space throughout the day and well into the evening.
1. Custom copper mirror wall and front desk clad copper mirror and walnut paneling. The existing chandeliers made of cymbals served as inspiration for several design details.
2. A large vintage rug
Ligne Roset - velvet footstool – Togo
Formverk – modular sofa - BOX Light
coffee table - custom
3. Andreu World - conference table - Reverse
4. Vipp pendant lights hang above the custom terrazzo kitchen island
5. The peculiar shape of the upstairs meeting room was emphasized with a custom bench that offers plenty of seating.
6. A monochrome color scheme was embraced in the upstairs wet bar
7. A pony wall that separates the upstairs office space was highlighted instead of hidden. It continues the terracotta color scheme throughout the open-plan space. Herman Miller Sayl office chairs.
8. Fogia - lounge chair - Bollo
MENU sofa - Offset