The company Utzschneider und E. Jaunez established a plant producing clay slabs in Zahna as early as 1891, pressing tiles by means of a dry-pressing technique. At the time, the decisive factor for the choice of the location was the proximity of the nearby clay pits and the anticipated market in the up-and-coming capital city of Berlin. The plan paid off and the plant grew. In the 1930s the "mosaic slab plant" in Zahna employed over 600 workers, which made it the third largest tile factory in Germanyat that time.
After the Second World War the plant became a purely manufacturing facility of the Fliesen und Sanitärkeramik Boizenburg industrial combine, a producer of tiles and ceramic sanitary fittings. Production consisted of unglazed tiles only.
Today, ZAHNA FLIESEN using state-of-the-art high speed firing technology to manufacture fine stoneware tiles for the industrial sector, together with the sophisticated application in the renovation and restoration of historic buildings.