Designing a small house is always a great pleasure because, ultimately, what we all need is nothing more than a room of one’s own. Conceiving spaces as being close to our bodies instantly evokes a strong analogy with the figure of the tailor. The parts of a place - its surfaces, its materials, its suggestions - become like paper patterns, which can be cut to size so as to fit its inhabitants to perfection.
As designers, we wished to deliver something special, in which childhood memories and new aims could mingle, in an area of Milan still redolent of the early 1900s. A certain nostalgia for Africa also cried out for attention, as well as the need to identify through objects reminiscent of a material culture, now partly forgotten. In this city that we love to distraction, yesterday’s girls (and today’s women) know how to appreciate the value of warm lighting and snug, understated environments.
Material Used :
1. Custom furnishings: f1srl.it
2. Floor covering: oak parquet, round jute rug
3. Wall covering: plaster, mirrored surfaces, mosaic, tapestry, masks
4. Ceilings: plaster, sticker
5. Lighting fixtures: Random, Oyster, vintage abat jour
6. Bathroom equipment: 500, Contesa, Nostromo
7. Furniture: kitchen, table, bed, vintage & ethnic items