Project description The extension of the Christian Doppler Gymnasium is an addition to a historic building complex from the year 1899, initially erected to serve as a casern on the edge of the historic city centre of the Salzburg.
Building Structure: The new one-storey building houses areas for studying, a library, a multi-purpose room and afternoon care facilities. It closes the gap between the two side wings of the historic building. Daylight and natural ventilation are provided by numerous atriums and roof lights, connecting the inside to the outside areas. The landscaped roof of the new building extends the schoolyard into the first floor – no recreational areas are lost due to the extension.
Extension building: The basement becomes the new ground level. Atriums and lowered areas structure the open areas into multifunctional spaces which house valuable functions in the former unusable cellar. Due to the optimized use of existing space the demand of newly built structures is minimized.