This multi award winning 2.5ha post industrial waterfront park is located on a contaminated former lubricant production site on the Birchgrove Peninsula in the inner reaches of Sydney harbour. The site’s richly layered history included occupation by indigenous people, construction of the ’Menevia’ marine villa in the 1860’s, quarry use for ship ballast and finally petroleum distillation by Caltex from the 1920’s until 2002.
The design embraces world leading sustainability principles to minimise the project’s carbon footprint and ecologically rehabilitate the site. The design combines readings of cultural heritage with environmental innovation to restore a green headland park for the local community. The ESD approach is underpinned by use of provenance planting, stormwater biofiltration, recycled materials, and wind turbines for renewable energy. As lead consultant, McGregor Coxall undertook project management, design development, construction documentation and administered the construction contract for the client.