- The original Edwardian house is setback a long way from the front boundary and because of this our clients’ children often play in the front garden. This led to reviewing the original brief for a double storey extension and instead focusing on pushing the boundaries at ground level, resulting in a more private, useable rear garden space and North facing living area.
- The existing chimney in Elsternwick House becomes the heart of this design solution. The re-orientation of a new kitchen, living and dining zone to the North, while transitioning from the existing Edwardian residence, provides flexible, open contemporary spaces for a young family.
- In the existing home, curated retention of Edwardian details such as a fireplace in the ensuite, enhance rather than detract from the homes modern edge. This existing section, housing bedrooms and areas for retreat, is injected with light and modernity, marrying with the new re-orientated kitchen-dining-living zone. Privacy can be sought and engagement with family and visitors is made easy by fluid pathways through the house.
- A floor-to-ceiling window is introduced at the end of a rejuvenated and extended grand entrance corridor. The eye is immediately drawn across the sparkling surface of a lap pool which lies beyond this window, defining the threshold of old and new.
- The overall design is stripped of inessential elements. Delicate details and subtle shifts in tone are layered into a tactile palette of bluestone, brick and pale oak, conveying a warm ambience whilst being robust and durable for the young family it houses.
Material Used :
1. Bamstone – External cladding
2. Lysaght - Lysaght KLIP-LOK 700 Hi-Strength roofsheeting
3. Royal Oak Floors – internal flooring – Architect Collection
4. Fibonacci Stone –terrazzo floor tiles – Flannel Flower
5. Elton Group – timber veneer – Eveneer Cumulus
6. Astra Walker – tapware – Icon collection
7. Miele – kitchen appliances
8. Cheminees Philippe – Wood fireplace - Radiante 692
9. Hub Furniture – Pendant lights - Paris Au Mois D'aout
10. Hub Furniture – Pendant lights –Toss B
11. Hub Furniture – Pendant light – Astep Design
12. Designer Doorware – door hardware – Gabriella collection
13. Hub Furniture – Sofa – Patricia Urquiola