The Cottage is the first phase of the restoration of Extown Farm, a 17 acre estate that houses a number of historically relevant buildings. Developed in 1778, the property consisted of several hundred acres. In 1852, it was sold to the town of New Canaan and served as the town's "poor farm". In 1929, it was sold by the town to a private family who renovated and transformed the Main House to a Neo-Georgian style, while retaining and adding to the colonial interiors. There is a "Deed of Conservation" with Historic New England for the property. The Deed protects the Main House, principle Barn, pastures, fields, meadows and trees and their combined "Character" in perpetuity from subdivision and demolition. The restoration of the Cottage was influenced and guided by the existing architecture in its detailing and spirit.