The Dirt Works Studio designed and built a new entrance gateway for the KU Field Station Research and Operations offices and the Armitage Education Center. The site is located in northern Lawrence, Kansas. A thirty-five foot long rammed earth wall rises from the earth, as the site’s surrounding trees rise up from the prairie landscape. The Field Station Gateway serves as a threshold between the surrounding landscape and the Field Station, offering signage and direction to those visiting the site, as well as paying homage to the prairie environment surrounding it.
Material Used :
1. Hamm Quarry – Local Soil, limestone screenings
2. Weststar Green Team - Reclaimed Timber
3. RamSeal – Rammed Earth Sealer – Ram Seal Cure and Prime and Terra Seal
4. Hilti – Epxoy and Stainless Steel Anchors
5. Monarch – Portland Cement