Overall description of project:
The Lakefront Family Home is a modern and glamorous space inspired by the expansive lakefront views.
This luxurious 17,000 square foot home is situated on the shores of expansive Lake Ontario, offering ever changing views and a peaceful refuge from the city that surrounds. Our client desired a modern space that isn't austere, resulting in a calm, airy and glamorous two-storey living room, while offering warmer more intimate spaces for family gatherings. We were also challenged to create a balance between classical and modern elements throughout, using bespoke furnishing to achieve this.
The home has an open plan, so connectivity between spaces was important. Clean, strong architectural lines were introduced to define and connect spaces, and invite guests throughout. The main floor is designed for entertaining with a high two-storey living room, large kitchen with a dramatic two-storey breakfast room, an intimate dining space and comfy family room which then connects back to the kitchen.
We developed a fashion inspired palette featuring Dior grey that's punctuated with jewel tones including amethyst, deep Yves St Laurent blues, and bright pinks. Our goal was to create a fresh, relaxing yet richly detailed space, that's contrasted with bronzes and dark stained woods in the dining and family rooms. Art and art placement was a major consideration in the overall scheme, carefully balancing the use of colour, texture, line and sculpture.
The luxury kitchen, situated overlooking expansive Lake Ontario, was inspired by both the lake itself and our client’s love of fashion. It is the hub of the home with entrances from all sides, so clever use of space, a unifying palette and hidden rooms were key to the overall design.
To accommodate frequent entertaining, much of the "real work" happens in a concealed "scullery" kitchen tucked behind cabinet doors, functional for both home use, and for caterers, freeing the rest of the kitchen for easy flow during gatherings.
A cool Dior Grey and rich Yves St. Laurent blue are accented with polished nickel and back-painted glass to make both a calm yet glamorous environment that is connected its water views. The floor and island counter are practical Quartz material, while side counters are in granite. Custom stools and desk chair are upholstered in shimmering vinyl for added practicality and sheen.
The spectacular two-storey breakfast room, used daily and oriented toward the water, is simple, classical and fresh.
Bespoke furnishings reminiscent of the Deco era, selectively curated for a more modern aesthetic, are used throughout to lend glamour, comfort and elegance to the lofty space.
Special features include:
• Horizontal panelled walls with a reveal
• Taylor Llorente console with Murano glass
• Bespoke wing chairs
• A historically referential bold monolithic two-storey limestone fireplace
• A Barry Allikas painting has a horizon line matching the lake in the distance
• Contrasting modern custom furnishings designed for comfort and elegance
Kitchen & Breakfast Room
• Dramatic two storey breakfast room
• Concealed "scullery" secondary kitchen
• Bespoke polished nickel grillwork and hood cover over the gas range
• Back-painted glass panels inset into the cabinet doors
• Indoor wood burning pizza oven between kitchen and family room
• Rich gold grass cloth wallcovering and painted wainscoting
• Bespoke dining table and chairs
• Ochre chandelier
Master Bedroom &Ensuite
• Promemoria bed design
• Bianca Carrara Extra marble master ensuite
• Extra wide ensuite shower space and towel off area