Situated towards the north east of Riyadh, Qortuba Oasis is a contemporary low-rise compound for expatriates offering a variety of types of residential accommodation.
An ample range of apartment buildings and villa types have been studied in order to offer all valuable type or combination, creating an overall harmonious vision for Qortuba Oasis, while at the same time focusing on the individual elements and their details. The target is to develop a pertinent and economical set of buildings that work together seamlessly for the project. The different apartment and villas typologies, configurations and combinations on site have been studied to fulfill the program, ensure the long term success of the project while avoiding the functional drawbacks and esthetic limitations of a repetitive design.
The design attempts to create a protected and comfortable environment that will start at the gates of the project itself and extends to every bedroom.
• Optimization of Living units around the landscaped and breathing areas – protected environment, maximization of gardens and shade, calm, serenity.
• Ground Floor layout optimize an outside inside space integration (Park/gardens/living areas)
• Shaded areas on all terraces and gardens.
• Micro climate
• Creation of protected pedestrian routes from and to the different buildings and villas and connect them to the nearby destinations. (Park, walkways etc…)
• Symbiosis and added value through the interaction between the buildings and the provision of private and/or communal roof gardens for buildings.
• Catering for outdoor activities – long outdoor seasons (sitting area, kitchen outside extension etc…
The different apartment and villas typologies, configurations and combinations on site have been studied to fulfill the program, ensure the long term success of the project while avoiding the functional drawbacks and esthetic limitations of a repetitive design.
In the case of the apartment, the different buildings are based on different configuration of the same 3 apartment modules (80m2 100, and 120 m2)
While in the villas, the 5 identified types cater for all the assigned plots. Some relatively minor variations will cater for the integration of the generic types on the variety of plots.
Cost Control and affordability guided the thinking throughout the Project based on modularity and standardization.
Sustainability is achieved through two folds. A passive strategy using intelligent facades, carefully sized openings, sun protection, cross ventilation, wind towers, patios, creation of a micro environment in every building and an optimized selection of materials and colors for minimal heat absorption. The active strategy is related to the optimization of allmechanical systems, electrical supply saving (solar energy where possible and lighting etc…), water use optimization and supply (city water, water reserve, recycling for irrigation etc…)
Our design intent based on the guidelines and objectives set out above should help create an efficient, flexible and economical group of buildings and villas for a unique and profitable living address in Riyadh.