Through restoration, reuse, and reinvention, the abandoned Charles Street Jail has been transformed by developer Carpenter & Company and architecture firm CambridgeSeven into a new four-star luxury hotel overlooking the Charles River in Boston’s Beacon Hill neighborhood. This historically significant and storied structure has been reborn as a vital commercial development featuring 330 guest rooms, a conference facility, ballroom, health club, lounge, restaurants, and high-end guest amenities. The hotel’s focal point is the restored jail building. Constructed in 1851, the building is considered to be the best example of Boston’s “Granite School of Architecture”. Fully restored, including the reconstruction of the cupola, the jail contains the lobby, restaurant and conference areas as well as guest rooms. CambridgeSeven worked with Ann Beha as Associated Architect for Preservation on this portion of the project. To complete the hotel, a new 16 story tower was built adjacent to the existing jail to house guest rooms and hotel service functions. The two buildings are joined by a courtyard garden reminiscent of the hidden gardens of Beacon Hill. The 261,000 sf development has been integrated alongside the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) campus and surrounding neighborhoods. Adjoining MGH's new Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, and linked to the MBTA's Charles/MGH Station, the Hotel will have a significant impact on the city and its future.