Interior design studio Robert London Design (RLD) has completed the renovation of a semi- detached house over four floors in west London, bringing minimal tones and a calming natural palette to this spacious Edwardian family home.
RLD approached the project with detailed consideration to the configuration of the space and how the family would use it. Rather than proposing an oversized rear extension which would draw activity to the back of the building, studio founder Robert looked at the home as a whole, designing a balanced scheme to create flow throughout the home.
In the bespoke kitchen, a carefully proportioned glazed extension sensitively aligns with the original architecture, while bringing natural light, connection to the garden, and a contemporary feel. Also on the ground floor are dining and living rooms, and a snug which acts as an informal TV room for the children.
The entire first floor was reconfigured to create a series of spacious, comfortable rooms with a grown-up focus. The master bedroom opens on to a full-size double dressing room and a spacious en-suite bathroom with tadelakt walls, a large walk-in shower, and freestanding bathtub. A study, equipped for home working, is accessible from the hall. Two children’s bedrooms and a guest room can be found on the second floor, along with a family bathroom.
The basement provides a playful space for family time and entertaining, with a cinema area, built-in bar, and access to the garden. A utility room, wine store, and further living space can also be found in this area.
Responding to the client’s preference for a clean Scandinavian aesthetic, timber flooring was prioritised over carpet. A neutral, pared back colour scheme runs throughout the home, and furniture by designers including Max Aalto was selected from sources such as B&B Italia and Benchmark. RLD created bespoke joinery for the home office and wardrobes, as well as a one-of- a-kind dining table. The studio also designed an elegant balustrade which runs throughout the house.
As Robert explains: “We really wanted to unify the look and feel of the house and create a harmonious environment, which meant giving equal consideration to major interventions like the glazed extension as to the finer details, such as the period mouldings and architrave, and the naturalistic lighting scheme. Peace and consistency were key themes to our approach.”
The resulting home works both as a refined sanctuary, and the hub for a busy family.
Material Used :
1. Facade cladding: Cast Limestone Facia Cladding & Red Brick
2. Flooring: American Oak, White pigmented high-solid hard wax oil -The Solid Wood Flooring Company
3. Kitchen Flooring: Dove Grey Tumbled Limestone -Floors Of Stone
4. Doors: Sieger® Slim Sliding Doors -IQ Glass
5. Interior lighting: London Lightworks
6. Interior furniture: Living Room Side Table, Medium Oak Soaped Pon table -Fredericia
7. Interior furniture: Living Room Coffee Tables, Piloti Sqaure Table -Fredericia
8. Interior furniture: Living Room Lounge Chairs, Ghost Chair - Gervasoni
9. Interior furniture: Living Room Sofa, Rod Sofa - Living Divani
10. Interior furniture: Living Room Lounge Chair, Confident Armchair - Living Divani
11. Interior furniture: Living Room Floor Lamp - Max Floor - Ingo Maurer
12. Interior furniture: Dining Chairs, Maxalto Jens chair, Smoked stain oak+ dark brown leather - B&B Italia
13. Interior furniture: Dining Table, Bespoke - Robert London Design.
14. Interior furniture: Kitchen Stools, Maxalto Jens Low Stool, Smoked stain oak - B&B Italia
15. Interior furniture: Hallway Bench, OVO Upholstered Bench - Benchmark
16. Interior furniture: Master Bedroom, Lounge Chair - Kalos Armchair& Kalos Footstool - B&B Italia
17. Interior furniture: Master Dressing Table - Drape Desk in Walnut & Leather - De La Espada
18. Interior furniture: Officer Chair - Eames EA118 swivel chair, Chrome frame
19. Bathroom Sanitary Wear: Brushed Chrome Fittings - Vola
20. Kitchen Appliances Wear: Miele Artline Range (ovens) + Fisher + Pykel fridge / freezer
21. Master Bathroom Flooring: Lava Stone Bathroom Floor, NUDA Honed - Made a Mano