Theater 1900 is the former theatre hall of the Turnhout theatre circle Amicitia. After a long period of vacancy, the listed monument was given a new life as a retail space within the urban renewal project Turnova.
The demolition of the disturbing foyer volume created a small square at the front of the building. The square forms a connection between the Bloemekensgang and the Kursaalpoort. This reinforces Turnova as an easily fordable shopping-walking zone.
The ruinous rear scene was replaced by a new building, linking the theatre with the passage on the east side. Two new stairwells provide extra flexibility: the theatre hall is currently set up as a shop, but can serve as a party room or restaurant in the future. The new rear scene is adaptable into a covered terrace.
The new additions were constructed in the same red brick as the monument. The staircase at the front is hidden behind a filigree screen of masonry in claustra bond. The joinery and cast iron trusses of the monument were given their original colours back.
1. Facade cladding: Brick, Brigand, Floren
2. Doors (steel): Steel, Jansen, Economy 50
3. Doors (wood): Wood (oak, painted green), custom made by Van Nooten
4. Windows (steel): Steel, Jansen, Economy 50
5. Windows (wood): Wood (oak, painted green), custom made by Van Nooten