ATELIER CENTRAL (AC) was founded in 1996 by José Martinez Silva, the company’s CEO and main leader Architect, graduated from the Faculty of Architecture of the Technical University of Lisbon (FAUTL) in 1989. The office works internationally, designing and developing projects in numerous areas, such as housing, hotels and resorts, industrial, public buildings, corporate design, schools, healthcare, sports and leisure, offices and retail, building consulting and urban planning. With a team of 10 wide ranged skilled architects and designers, AC also works with a professional specialized team in engineering, finances and management, international relations, marketing, communication and administrative support.
Specialized in brand design, AC has been working as a corporate design consultant for General Motors Portugal since the 1990’s. The accumulated experience and received training allowed it to increase and strengthen its presence in such an aggressive market, currently working for BMW Group, Opel, Chevrolet, Volkswagen, Audi, Šköda, Citroën, Peugeot, Mitsubishi and Honda.
In 1997, Architect Miguel Beleza became AC’s Senior Partner, and in 2001-2009, alongside with José Martinez, founded ATMB13, a Company specialized in corporate design.
In 2014 José Martinez launched the Start-up company myBUILDIN, an online platform that extends AC’s accumulated know-how to help users to estimate the refurbishing costs of their houses/offices/shops according to the chosen finishes and construction works.
in 2014 also, he established ATCENTRAL Group, a privately held real estate investment and advisory firm, reinforced by a reliable history of AC’s architectural services and managing.
AC faces each challenge with enthusiasm and responsibility, despite its purpose or dimension. Driven and inspired by values of excellence, the office always tries to make the creative process as participative as it can be, engaging customers and all other parties involved, so that everyone works together as a whole.
The design process is supposed to achieve a consistent idea, always respecting the location, surroundings and history. It must have its own identity, without forgetting the creative and intelligent management of the available resources, in order to meet budget and schedule.
AC’s experience covers a wide range of architectural formats, such as:
- Schools – Josefa de Óbidos (Lisbon), Vergílio Ferreira (Lisbon) and Montemor-o-Velho schools; and Bicesse kindergarten (Cascais);
- Housing – houses in Paço de Arcos, houses in Azeitão and house in Torres Vedras;
- Apartment buildings – Quinta do Cotão Velho Housing Compound with 24 houses . Sintra, Canastas . Lisbon (10 apartments), Av dos Lusíadas 73 . Lisbon (14 apartments), Alameda dos Pinheiros . Lisbon (11 apartments), Azeda . Setúbal (72 apartments), Manteigadas . Setúbal (6 apartments + 2 shops), Albufeira . Algarve (30 apartments + 7 comercial areas);
- Health equipment and lodging – DRDERM´s Clinic, Laser Belém´s Clinic , Dra Manuela Cochito´s Clinic, Tropical Medicine and Traveller´s Clinic;
- Hotels – Outeirão Natural Park Resort, Princesa Hotel and Tea, Quinta da Merceana Wine Resort . Alenquer.
AC has won several international competitions and important awards, such as 2017 American Architecture Prize - The Firm of the Year Award, 2016 International Space Design Award Idea-Tops, 2016 Special Mention Architizer A+Awards, Valmor Award 2011, Conde de Oeiras Award 1999.
With numerous publications in highly acclaimed magazines, the built portfolio includes schools; hotels; resorts, factories; automotive facilities; healthcare facilities; offices; apartments; and private houses in Portugal, Germany, England, Spain, Angola and Mozambique.