This permanent beachside home, designed for a young family is located in an established, native coastal environment. The rectilinear nature of the site and natural typography encouraged a simple yet highly efficient floor plan incorporating three pavilions linked by a continuous circulation spine.
The eastern pavilion houses the sleeping and bathing zones while the two living zones are are aligned on the western side. The primary living space contains the kitchen/dining/living and floats above a masonry podium, cranking towards true north to maximise sun exposure and frame the elevated treed outlook. The secondary family room is seperatedby an open terrace that links both living zones to the secluded timber terrace.
Each extruded pavilion is wrapped in a skin of White Cypress timber that visually folds and interlocks with the expressed concrete block work blade walls. The primary concrete blockwork spine provides a continuity of materials from outside to within allowing an honest and space-defining structural element that also provides for thermal mass to the internal environment.
Cross flow ventilation is maximised through a combination of operable systems including sliding glazed doors, louvre windows, along with windows at both high and low levels. The central courtyard allows the house to breathe and provides varying degrees of openness and intimacy, natural light and fresh air. Sustainable living solutions include double glazed windows with Argon gas, rain water is harvested into a water tank, grey water is reused for irrigation while sustainably managed timber and low voc coatings are used extensively.
The result is a home that harmonises and integrates peacefully within its natural coastal environment.
Material Used :
1. External Cladding: Cypress Timber by Frencham Cypress with Cabots stain finish.
2. External Masonry: Concrete Blockwork by C+M Masonry.
3. External battens/fascia/decking: Cypress Timber by Frencham Cypress with Cabots stain finish.
4. Timber Doors + Windows: Double Glazed KDHW timber with Cabots stain finish.
5. External Roofing: Bluescope SteelKliplok profile in Colorbond finish.
6. Internal Flooring: Victorian Ash timber with Bona floor finish.
7. Internal Walls: CSR Plasterboard with Dulux paint finish.
8. Internal Walls: Cypress Timber by Frencham Cypresswith Cabots stain finish.
9. Internal Masonry: Concrete Blockwork by C+M Masonry.
10. Internal Ceilings: CSR Plasterboard with Dulux paint finish.
11. Internal Joinery: Parcment Laminex surfaces and Cashmere Caesarstone benchtops.
12. Internal + External Wood Heater: Jetmaster model 850