A magnificent 7,500sqft Grade II listed building in poor condition provided the opportunity for a sympathetic, complete refurbishment to a family home. The design intent was to restore the period spaces & features to their original form, whilst also creating new contemporary areas within a seamless interior scheme. Exterior works comprised restoration of the street façade together with excavation at the rear to give a flowing connection from lower ground floor, across floating concrete steps to a completely re-landscaped rear garden.
Internally, the plan form was restored and the building carefully pieced back to its original position, with mouldings and patterns painstakingly taken from original sections, some from adjoining contemporaneous listed buildings.
Scale was key, with such a large house and high floors, each room needed to reflect the grandeur of the overall building, so the design development of joinery or areas such as bathrooms or kitchen had to convey this. The kitchen was bespoke designed to appear as a collection of large furniture pieces, with no sense of being stereotypically fitted. A brass central island was finely detailed to sit as a sculptural element in the middle of the space. At lower ground, a contemporary language of concrete floors, crittal screens and sheer detailed doors was seamlessly linked to the period detailing of the upper floors with a carefully considered colour scheme. A fully restored staircase with new sheer rooflight overhead exemplifies the enjoyable duality of period and contemporary detailing throughout the house.
Material Used :
1. Stone Age Ltd_stone floor_Colombe Grey
2. Solid Floor_timber floor_Oak Heritage Nave
3. Farrow &Ball_paint finishes
5. Calacatta Oro marble_bespoke stonework
6. Carrara marble_bespoke stonework
7. Bert & May_bespoke brass kitchen island
8. Kast_bespoke concrete basin
9. Lazenby_polish concrete floor and garden steps_light natural satin
10. Vande Moortel_garden paving
11. The Folding Sliding Door company_garden door
12. Steel Window Services_bespoke sliding crittall screen
13. Anour Copenhagen_kitchen pendant_I model
14. Serge Mouille_wall and ceiling lightings