Built in 1907, Ludlow Mill 10 was originally part of the larger Ludlow Mills industrial complex and home to one of the world’s largest producers of jute cloth, rope and twine. Once a powerhouse of manufacturing, the building remained derelict for nearly a decade prior to its rehabilitation and adaptation. The design team’s work included a complete restoration of the structure and facade, as well as artfully adapting the building’s 108,000 square feet to 75 modern apartments for seniors with amenities including a fitness center, resident lounge, reading book nook, and computer lounge.
A high level of fit and finish furthers the project’s desirability: Unit finishes include painted gypsum walls in bedrooms, with exposed brick throughout the living spaces. Wood flooring complements the exposed wood beams and steel columns, giving a respectful nod to the building’s industrial past.
Tenants of the Residences at Mill 10 enjoy access to the adjacent reestablished Riverwalk on the Chicopee River, and co-location with small manufacturing and design businesses, a microbrewery, as well as a rehabilitation hospital. All buildings within the complex are contributing resources to the Ludlow Village Historic District, and are listed in the State and National Registers of Historic Places.Residences at Mill 10 not only represents the culmination of a six-year effort to preserve and revitalize this iconic building for a vulnerable population, but also a lasting economic boon to greater Ludlow. The value and possibility of historic preservation, adaptive reuse, and urban revitalization are on display at the Residences at Mill 10, helping weave a successful future for the Ludlow community.
Material Used :
1. Lemieux Doors (Division of Masonite International) - Unit Interior Doors
2. Daybar Industries -Unit Entry / Common Area Metal Doors
3. Universal Window & Door, LLC – windows - custom
4. AccuCrete (Allied Custom Gypsum) - Gypsum Floor Underlayment
5. Mitsubishi Electric – Ductless air systems
6. Acurlite Structural Skylights – skylights - custom
7. CertainTeed – Fiberglass batt insulation
8. Greenheck – Unit and common area ERVs
9. Icynene – Spray foam insulation
10. Keene Building Products – Sound control mat