John McAslan + Partners designed the regeneration of Woolwich’s Royal Military Academy, located in the Woolwich Common Conservation area.
The Academy, built between 1805 and 1906, consists of a number of outstanding Grade II* and Grade II listed buildings and structures. The concept underpinning the practice’s approach to the development is that of an ‘urban village’, opening the site to create a new sense of community with a generous amount of public space.
The residential led mixed-use development includes retail and community uses, retaining and refurbishing the majority of existing buildings to create 320 units in total, including a significant element of new build.
Key to the development are the open spaces between the buildings, designed as attractive squares and gardens, with new circulation routes for pedestrians.
The setting of the Academy is of particular significance and the proposals include a significant amount of landscaped community space.