On this beautiful plateau, high on a ridge of the Santa Monica Mountains overlooking the Pacific Ocean, the intention was to respond with an elemental design that strengthens a connection to nature on a vast scale while navigating the natural topography and sculptural rock outcroppings with deft precision.
The most significant move was the placement of the 14 board-formed concrete bearing walls that emerge from the mountain topography to define a modest dwelling in two volumes. The L-shaped main house, balanced between airy slope and earthbound plain, forms a courtyard with the massive rock and infinity pool while the studio/carport aligns across the site establishing a powerful horizontal reference.
Steel wide flange beams, anchored to the inside face of each concrete wall, form floating horizontal slabs that support steel joists and conditioned air distribution. Communicating between these slabs, and frequently pulling in from the perimeter to form exterior decks, is a handmade enclosure of metal frames in-filled with wood and glass and solid wood interior partitions that define the home’s private and service spaces.
The material palette is intentionally constrained to minimize distraction and harmonize experience. Slatted screen doors and exterior shades modulate sunlight while ground-source heat pumps, supported by eight geothermal wells provide conditioned air.
Material Used :
1. ESODesignStudio – Doors and Windows –Custom Aluminum and Garapa; Central Steel Service - Pool Cladding – Custom laser cut¼“ CorTen Steel; Innit Designs – Deck Chairs – Acapulco Chair;E15 – Day Bed – Theban Daybed; E15 – Dining Table – Alden Table, oiled oak; E15 – Dining Chairs – Houdini Side Chair, oak veneer, laquered navy; Flos – Floor Lamp – Glo-Ball F3; Autoban – Pendant light – Single Octopus 224s, red RAL 3020
2. DeKrassel Construction - Poured in place concrete walls – Board formed concrete with Davis Color: Miami Buff 5447, High Fly ash mix
3. DeterFabrik – Chimney Spark arrestor – Custom CorTen Steel
4. Banks Welding and Fabrication – Perimeter Wide Flange Steel beams – Carboline Paint finish, Pratt & Lambert Wendigo color; ESODesignStudio – Decking – 1x5 Garapa with Penofin Hardwood oil finish
5.Hans Wegner – Lounge Chairs – GE375 Lounge Chair, Kvadrat Maharam Canvas 424
6. ESODesignStudio – Interior Walls – 1x4 solid Garapa; ESODesignStudio – Interior Floors – ¾“ x 5“ Garapa; D-Line – Handrail Bracket – Stainless Steel; Functional Fenestration – Lift and Slide Door Handle – FFI LS 100, Oil Rubbed Bronze finish
7. Banks Welding and Fabrication – Steel Guardrails – 3/8“ plate steel with stainless steel cables, Carboline paint finish; Flos – Floor Lamp –Glo-Ball F3; Ligne Roset – Sofa – Nomade Express
8. ICM Installations – Stainless Steel countertop – Custom 14 guage stainless steel; ESODesignStudio – Wood Cabinets – Custom Walsapr Luster Lac Satin White finish; Vola – Faucet – KV1 Stainless Steel; Sungatsune – Cabinet Pulls- SN-50-S satin stainless steel; Fontana Arte – Ceiling Light – Sillabone; Fontana Arte – Kitchen Lights – Sillaba 2775/5G
9. Industry of all Nations – Exterior Lounge Chair – Panamericana Lounger; Legnoletto – Bed – 160cm Bed with shelves, matte white with white legs
10. Halo – Hallway recessed lights – H71CT; Kasthall – Rug – Hagga 90x200, Brilliant Ruby 9132
11. Jasper Morrision – Sofa – Camp 3 seat sofa, Steelcut Trio fabric; E15 – Stools – Backenzahn Stool, Oiled Oak