The original house was built in the 1950's in a prosperous suburb of Stockholm. It is situated in a sloping terrain and comprised a basement, two full stories, and an attic under a pitched roof. The new owners wanted to benefit from building's high position, with views toward the archipelago and the inlet to Stockholm, by transforming the unused attic into living qarters. The local building code limited the building height, but allowed the replacement of the pitched roof with a new, slightly higher volume.
The new roof-top addition is made up from three identical volumes, lined up along the center line of the house. The volumes are lit by sky lights, and large square windows directed towards the different views.
Externally, a horisontal bond of dark brick marks the cut of the original attic. The new addition is seen as a series of dark volumes, each one clad in copper plates. The folds of the plates are accentuated to emphasize the tectonic elements. Two exising chimeys that are still in use, are also clad in copper and function as conterpoints to the ordered building volumes.
Internally, the layout is strictly ordered. The addition forms a master bed room suite, separated from the rest of the house via a narrow stair case. The staircase reaches the central volume, which serves as an antechamber to the master bed room to the right and the study to the left. It also functions as a walk-in-closet, with acces to WC and shower conceald behind sliding doors. The floor is made of in-situ concrete, with white walls divided by a framework in oak ribbons. The adjacent room are placed two steps up, reached through narrow passages. These rooms are softer in appearaces, with oak floor and recessed wool carpets. The bedroom with its single window faces the valley to the east, whereas the study has windows in three directions and access to roof terrace.