This ‘A’ listed Scottish castle has a sad history. Its last real domestic inhabitant, Mrs Magdalene Sharpe Erskine, died in 1872. Brought into the hands of a private trust, the castle operated as a museum but, over the years, it was poorly maintained. It was susceptible to vandalism and was burgled which saw the contents moved to Duff House in Aberdeenshire. In 2009, GLM was called in to do a building condition survey for the new owner. Initially, the survey advised on what it would take to put the castle into good order. Although the external fabric was in good shape, the interior and services required complete upgrading. GLM was subsequently appointed by the purchaser of the castle to convert it back into a family house, recovering the historic quality of the building in the process and providing it with all the services of a comfortable contemporary home, albeit one on a grand scale.