Originally the Thomas Restaurant, this downtown Napa building was designed by William Corlett in the Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1908. It served as a restaurant/bar until 2016. A major part of the renovation included peeling off the tiled exterior façade and reconstructing the original wood-paneled storefront facade with modern triple-slider windows so the restaurant could open to the outside.
This creates a more intimate relationship with the sidewalk, taking advantage of the city’s recent streetscape improvements, which doubled the width of the sidewalks along Main Street to make room for outdoor dining.The historic cast iron columns were restored and the original center doors were recreated. Each detail is custom, from the storefront base to the way the assembly connects to the historic cast iron columns.
A third-floor terrace trelliswas added, providing shade for rooftop diners.The tri-level interior features tin ceilings, original, refinished wood floors, and oak and brick texture on the walls. The main level bar features marble, dark wood, dark leather and bronze finishes. An oyster bar is the focal point of the second-level restaurant, where guests can see the shucking and catch glimpses of kitchen staff behind a translucent screen made with glass.
1. All Weather – triple sliding windows
2. C.R. Laurence Co., Inc. – glass guard rail (customized for use as a glass drink rail)
3. Inspired Environments – custom retractable fabric awning system
4. Napa Valley Architecturals – stone landings / thresholds