What was the brief?
In my first meeting with the client, I tried to ask them questions about their lifestyle, how they use the space, and what kind of spaces make them happy. We talked about how the apartment needed to be kid and dog friendly, a place that feels designed but comfortable for everyday living for their young family.
I then pulled together some inspiration images and defined the design objective of their home as Sophisticated | Playful | Contemporary. They loved the direction I was going in. Both husband and wife were actively involved in the first few meetings and calls.
What were the key challenges?
The clients and I were very aligned from the very beginning in out vision for the space. It was a very harmonious process and a collaborative one. The biggest challenge here though was the bedding for the kids room. We went back and forth on a themed bedding vs a simple bedding. We eventually agreed on solid bedding with themed throw pillows and it was a homerun.
What materials did you choose and why?
My material selection is different for every room. In the Living Room, I wanted to use black and walnut as my main materials. The walnut media cabinet brings warmth and connects the two ends of the great room – kitchen and living room. The black in the coffee table base, the dining room sideboard and the bar stools ground all the other lighter color selections. The brass in the vintage light fixture is repeated softly thought the space.
The master bedroom had a very soft palette and I added shagreen nightstands to bring texture and color. Most of the materials in this room are textural and fabrics. The kids room was fun with a mix of blue millwork and bleached walnut frames, black metal nightstand and simple white painted shelves.
Material Used :
GREAT ROOM – LIVING AREA:
1. Rug - Restoration Hardware
2. Coffee Table - Andrew Martin, Jigsaw Table in Black and Brass finish
3. Swivel Chair - Lina Swivel Chair from DWR, in Maharam Surf fabric
4. Throw Pillows - custom made in Kelly Wearstler Graffito (in Onyx beige colorway) and Channels (Ebony Ivory colorway) print
5. Sconce - CB2
6. Magazine Holder - Worlds Away
7. Media Cabinet - Nuevo Living
GREAT ROOM – DINING AREA:
1. Dining Table - Calligaris
2. Dining Chairs - Also Calligaris (though I'm not sure)
3. Side Board - Jonathan Adler
4. Mirror - RH
5. Ginger Jars - Family Heirloom
6. Dining Room Chandelier – Vintage
GREAT ROOM – KITCHEN:
1. Pendant lights over the kitchen island - CB2
2. Bar Stools – DWR
1. Wallpaper - Denali wallpaper from Flatvernacular
1. Wallpaper - Nuvolette wallpaper from Cole and Sons in the pearl colorway
2. Bed - Impunto bed, by Pianca upholstered in White Velvet
3. Nightstands - Clio Shagreen nightstands by RH
4. Plug in Sconces - from RH
5. Bedding Sheets - Frette
6. Coverlets - RH
7. Throw pillows and throw – Sferra
1. Wallpaper - Tumbling Block Wallpaper, in Cobalt from Schumacher
2. Bed - Parker storage Bed in Bleached Walnut, Satin White finish, upholstered in Navy fabric, by DucDuc
3. Dresser - Austin Dresser from Duc Duc
4. Bench - Table Bench, from Duc Duc in White Satin and Bleached Walnut finish
5. Bench Cushion - Custom upholstered in Navy by Duc Duc
6. Bench Storage Baskets - Restore baskets by Muuto in grey
7. Throw Pillows - by Framebridge
8. Art - Esty
9. Frames - by RH
10. Floating Shelves - PB Teen
11. Rug - Custom West Elm
12. Lighting Accent Light - Etsy