XAPO provides online banking services for crypto-currencies. The company’s director, Wences Casares, commissioned Lagranja studio to create their flagship headquarters; the first physical HQ for XAPO, and the first transformation of a historical building for Lagranja.
The main intent of the project was to give XAPO – a company that operates wholly in the digital domain – a headquarters and physical presence. It occupies two arched bays of the barracks complex – measuring 700 square meters in total – and constructed in local limestone, with the ceilings supported by original wooden beams. Both these, and the stonewalls, were cleaned, restored, and left in their natural state, lending the space a feeling of an ancient bank vault. Using the intersection of archeology and modern design as a starting point, Lagranja studio has restored reinvented the bays with a contemporary office layout and furniture and décor made with digital processes; a metaphor in itself for the rapid, tech-driven transformation of banking and currency.
Material Used :
- Walkway, patio and toilet and storage area: Marazzi porcelain tile flooring, cement type, cut in 60x20 pieces, laid marking the longitudinal joint.
- public customer service area: Wide plank oak wood floor laid at 45º with perimeter border in Marazzi cement-type porcelain tiles.
- working area: offices and meeting rooms: Warm grey mottled carpet
- Where possible, existing stone cleaned by sandblasting.
- Offices, walls and ceilings: Lime stucco 9002 and phono absorbent on walls with Crevin fabric, the same as the furniture.
- Services: Marazzi cement-type porcelain wainscoting, Plastic paint. Light grey lamps with white marble plinth.
- False wooden ceilings with beams and joists : recovery of existing ceilings finished with dark matt varnish matching wood.
- False ceilings of stone and brick vaults : restoration of existing ceilings, sandblasting to clean and expose them, matt pore-closing finish.
- False offices: plasterboard with a stucco finish in whitewashed colour 9002. In the meeting room the plasterboard is curved, following the shape of the existing vault, in the small rooms smooth plasterboard ceiling.
- Exterior carpentry of the building: white lacquered wood (ral 9002) with security glass.
- Exterior carpentry, courtyard offices: made to measure in white lacquered iron (ral 9002), quartered.
- Carpentry for enclosing exhibition areas: frameless tempered glass doors.
- Carpentry of offices in private public area: Divitecnic ral 9002 type office partition.
- Meeting room joinery: solid oak wood.
Custom made furniture
Made by 3d printing of corn-based bio-plastic and solid oak wood envelopes.
- reception furniture
- Board table. croissant-shaped table 600x170cm height 75cm, meeting room
- High table 420x170cm height 90cm in the customer service area.
- Screen: dividing partition between customer service and waiting areas.
- Common areas:
Ottoman Hight Stool from LaGranjaCollection
Round high armchair from LaGranjaCollection
Round armchair from LaGranjaCollection
Round stool 60 from LaGranjaCollection
Basic divan from LaGranjaCollection
Basic armchair from LaGranjaCollection
Bold Sofa from LaGranja Collection
Bold armchair from LaGranja Collection
Bold chair from LaGranja Collection
Bold table from LaGranja Collection
Tube table 40 top 65 from LaGranja Collection
Tube table 50 top 80 from LaGranja Collection
Bench Tibas Office table from Haworth
Conforto 59 Silla ergonomic from Haworth.
Metalic Book from Haworth
Wardrobe Be Hold from Haworth
Shelf Be Hold from Haworth
- Diapason Lamp. Special design by LaGranja for Xapo. Indirect lighting.
- Invision Design & Construction Ltd.