To transform the former post office designed by Gaston Eysselinck in 1945 into a cultural institution and to place it into its physical context, we decided to develop an amphitheatre in the centre of the building. The large theatre hall consists of 400 seats and it can be accessed via the post box offices. This brightly lit and acoustically dampening inner courtyard (there is hardly any noise from the surrounding buildings) has become the heart of the main post office of Ostend.
The amphitheatre is surrounded by several exhibition halls, production facilities and rehearsal rooms. It has become a place where all different users of the building converge: art lovers, art performers, office staff and technical staff alike. On the outside we constructed transparent tubes through which the public will be lead to the different multifunctional halls. We created several entrances to the building. All users of the building, the public, artists, administration and technical staff can circulate through the building without losing contact with each other and, at the same time, without disturbing one and other.