SOMA Loft Residence is 2017 IIDA Global Excellence Award Finalist
Offering spectacular Bay Bridge views, this two-level loft was an uninspired white box chopped up into many small rooms. Having worked with the owners on another home in the Carmel Valley, the designers wanted to bring a similar warm, modern and spacious character to this loft that celebrates the view while offering two-bedroom suites for overnight guests.
To accomplish these goals, walls & soffits were first removed to expose concrete. Now pared down to the essentials, the space was reimagined as a composition of planes and volumes in warm materials: concrete, wire-brushed and waxed European white oak, gunmetal gray panels & gallery white walls.
The kitchen, a compact composition of white lacquer casework opens to harbor views over an oversized island. A slender blackened steel stair of white oak treads and a frameless glass guardrail replaces the heavy original, and serves as a focal point for the room. The adjacent guest bedroom features a moveable wall of hanging panels that can be hidden away, allowing the living room to seamlessly double in size.
The master bathroom features backlit steel mirrors, travertine slab floors & shower walls and vanities made from wire-brushed, waxed oak. Overlooking the living room, a loft features casework that separates a large dressing area from the media room.
Using a vibrant Stark carpet purchased by the owners before construction started, furniture and art were selected to complement the natural material palette. Unique pieces include a custom steel and oak dining table and an upholstered bench.
1. Custom Metalwork Fabricators: Sohler Iron
2. Interior Material Products: Gessi & Dornbracht plumbing, Sub-Zero, Wolf and Asko appliances, European white oak flooring, travertine from DaVinci, Benjamin Moore paint, custom white oak walls & ceiling, Waterworks marble wall tile, Pental quartz kitchen countertops
3. Artwork: Tony Ambus, Design Details
4. Decorative Lighting: Helium, Whitegoods, KKDC, Lucifer, Boyd Lighting, Tech Lighting, Vibia
5. Interior Furnishings: Tony Ambus, Design Details