The restoration project for the library insists on part of the ground floor of Palazzo Liviano (designed by Giò Ponti for the competition of 1934 and built in 1937) and on the porch leaning against the same facing the inner courtyard.
The space concerning the Liviano Palace corresponds to the projection on the ground floor of the overlying 14th century Sala dei Giganti: this space constitutes the oldest part of the Carraresi palace, characterized by a perfectly preserved system of cross vaults. An ancient series of architectural structures was part of the palace of the Carraresi, the oldest dating back to the 12th century: most of the structures were radically changed during the 14th century.
Of this enormous complex today only the building owned by the municipality with the loggia and the direction of the Carraresi remains and the part of the Liviano building object of the intervention.
Giò Ponti's project included the construction of accessory spaces and service areas for the university building and the caretaker's lodge in the building below the Sala Dei Giganti. The spatial asset changed in the early 1970s and in the following years, dividing the rooms into multiple service environments. In more recent years, with the retirement of the last custodian, the house has been transformed into the premises of the Presidency of Letters and offices.
The second space redesigned by the project is the L-shaped portico developed on the south side of the Sala Dei Giganti reconstructed at the end of the 1930s: this part was built to give access to the Sala Dei Giganti through the Dotto staircase. The reopening of the two existing doors on the south side of the same room made it possible to reestablish that connection.
In this way it was possible to guarantee independent access to the Hall, from outside the Faculty, in addition to the one existing on the north wall within the Liviano complex.