Coffeebar is a contemporary space in the heart of Silicon Valley’s venture capital center, Menlo Park, California. The design teams collaborated with Coffeebar founder Greg Buchheister to reimagine a building that was once a nail salon and an Asian food market into a curated, modern café that would draw in commuters and residents alike. The exterior was transformed from a simple commodity building to a bespoke retail destination. A simple material palette of steel, cypress, and glass creates a contemporary ambiance while offering durability in a heavy traffic environment. Elliptically-shaped, exterior wooden louvers float in front of the oversized glass windows and doors to provide sun protection and soft natural light into the interior. The steel trim and blackened standing-seam metal panels convey a sophisticated, industrial quality that complements the interiors.
Taking inspiration from Italian coffee bars, the interior features terrazzo countertops and walls. A bicycle chain chandelier, bicycle enamel paint and an alcove partitioned with metal chain curtains pay homage to the biking culture of Silicon Valley. A live-edge walnut communal table, which is accented by striking butterfly joints in teal blue, anchors the space. Banquettes, hightop tables with terrazzo counters, and copper-top café tables edge the interior. A custom designed retail area supports the front counter with its high customer turnover. Interior details include a copper-paneled waterstation, copper wall panels with exposed riveting and ash walls. The floor is the original concrete that has been highly polished.
Material Used :
1. Bike Chain Chandelier: Design by NICOLEHOLLIS; fabricated by Facaro Designs
2. Terrazzo: American Terazzo Co.
3. Menu Signage: Vestaboard
4. Walnut Table: Design by NICOLEHOLLIS
5. Metal Curtain Material: Fabricoil-Cascade Architectural
6. Tufted Banquettes: Shelby Williams
7. Tufted Banquette Upholstery: Kravet#606 Valera (Colorway: Sienna)
8. Linen/Vinyl Banquettes: Alexis Moran
9. Water Station: Design by NICOLEHOLLIS
10. Copper-Top Cafe Tables: Design by NICOLEHOLLIS
11. Terrazzo Hightop Tables: Design by NICOLEHOLLIS
12. Cypress Siding: ARC Wood & Timbers
13. Elliptical Cypress Louvers: ARC Wood & Timbers
14. Steel Trim: Custom metal by Mountain Forge Inc., Truckee, CA, Anton Standteiner
15. Standing Seam Metal Panels: Sheffield
16. Oversized Glass Windows and Doors: Arcadia Storefront System (aluminum)
17. Ash Interior Paneling: ARC Wood & Timbers