There was a traditional scenery of thatched-roof houses and rice fields In the Tokyo west side area. We tried to revive the original scenery by a thick thatched-roof. We made a large volume roof with a continuous eaves and set back window holes.
The daughter is living in the big roof and herparents is living under the roof. By big roof wecreated a reasonably independent upper and lower space. The surplus space of the roof is designed for a high side light for the 1st floor. That makes the 1st floor is filled with charming day lights and quiet environment. The 2nd floor is a playful hideaway space like a large attic. The layout of the windows follows the pattern of the wood chips to create a cohesive appearance.
Material Used :
1. Facade cladding: asphalt shingle, master wood shake - MARUSHIKA
2. Flooring: Japanese cypress 30mm
3. Doors: Lauan plywood, Custom order
4. Windows: Aluminum sash, YKKAP
5. Roofing: asphalt shingle, master wood shake
6. Interior lighting: LED down light
7. Interior furniture: White ash, Custom order, SG corporation