Longfellow Terraces are an example of what the often-discussed “Missing Middle” could look like in Brisbane - a sustainable infill-development for sensitive densification of inner-city suburbs. Inserting additional dwellings dwellings into existing infrastructure allows more people to enjoy the qualities of these precincts rather than adding to the urban sprawl.
Inspired by the way in which ancient people used to live under trees for protection from the elements, the design genuinely connects the entire living floor to the landscape by providing sheltered and unobstructed spaces that are truly in touch with nature.
The spatial arrangement of the project takes queues of the functionality of “Sydney Terrace Houses”. Three storey dwellings use the sloping land to fully conceal garages and driveway thus avoiding ground floor domination by garage doors. Instead, the houses feature entry sequences similar to traditional ‘Queenslanders’ with the arrival of visitors at landscaped front yards, stairs and verandas.
AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS 2019 QUEENSLAND STATE AWARDS WINNER OF STATE AWARD MULTIPLE HOUSING:
“Through a successful and vested relationship with the builder, the architect was able to collaborate and resolve common difficulties in developing a well design and affordable housing model. The project is an exemplar for infill housing, demonstrating how higher densities can be successfully achieved within suburban areas through careful consideration of climate, context and liveability.” – Queensland awards jury citation.
Material Used :
1. External Walls:
- James Hardie Axon 133 smooth cladding with paint finish
- James Hardie 1200mm wide x 6mm thick Hardie Flex FC sheeting with 42x19mm FJ pine cover battens over joints; Paint finish
- PGH Bricks & Pavers Black & Tan (Smooth) 230x110x76mm; Mortar colour: Standard grey; Joint: Struck flush
- Ampelite Translucent glass reinforced polyester sheeting WONDERGLASS-PC Cool Lite (25% heat transmission)
- Lysaght Trimdek metal sheeting in Colourbond “Surfmist” colour
3. Timber Flooring:
- Blackbutt hardwood decking
- Timber - Solid blackbutt
- Corian - Glacier White
- Corian - Deep Nocturne
- Laminate - Wilsonart New Age Oak 7938
- Laminate - Wilsonart - Snow White 9417-TS
- Laminate - Wilsonart - Black 0901-TS
5. Bathrooms + Ensuites:
- Phoenix Vivid fittings
6. Kitchen appliances:
- Fisher & Paykel