The building process of the Oxygen and Dissousgas Company (ODV) started in 1952 in Újpest, the brownfield belt of Budapest. Because of its proximity to the Danube river Újpest was the area of industrial developments already in the 1920’s and 30’s (tannery, thread factory, lamp factory). The valuable original brick buildings were completed through continuous development until 1963. The MESSER company - the leading manufacturer and distributer of special technical and medical gases in Europe - purchased the site in 1988. Our company, A4 Studio accepted the commission in 2008 for designing the new production hall, laboratory, depositories and offices on the 47 000 m2 site. Our first design approaches reckoned with a new building (see images) but after an accurate architectural and structural analysis we decided in agreement with the investor to utilize the original brick buildings with modern extensions. Design process happened in 2010-11 (see images). The refurbishment was completed in the summer of 2012 with 21st century architectural means and materials (anthracite colored metal cladding, glas surfaces, exposed concrete), the design indicates old and new structures.