This newly constructed public and intermediate school serves 900 students in the Morris Heights area of the Bronx. The building is comprised of four floors plus a partial basement. P.S./I.S. 338X has a very distinctive facade which follows the radial curve of Macombs Avenue. The generous front entrance is recessed into the façade and features multi-colored elements and an entry archway which acts as an interactive digital sign board displaying animated artwork created thorough the collaboration between local artists and the students. The curved facade utilizes, for the first time in an SCA project, a terra cotta rain screen system. The school was designed in collaboration with Lee Harris Pomeroy Architects, with whom RKTB shared responsibilities up to construction administration.
1. Unit masonry – Glen-Gery Brick
2. Waterproofing – Grace Construction Products
3. Building Insulation – Owens Corning
4. Firestopping – 3M Fire Protection Products
5. Air Barrier – Henry Company
6. Roofing – GAF Building Materials Corp.
7. Finish Hardware – Yale
8. Aluminum Projected Windows – Traco/Kawneer
9. Ceramic Tile – Daltile Corporation