Open the castle town
Taketa city, Oita, next to Kumamoto is a town of central Kyusyu and has a population of about 20,000. The center is a castle town surrounded by the mountain on all sides and remain unique atmosphere such as a section of the city and width of a road. However, there are few people who walk around the town and people of the town proceed with “A project of regeneration castle town” to overcome the situation and the vanguard is to rebuild of the library.
In this plan, they carried out “A dividing of roof” and “A separation roof and wall” adopting a gable roof and a white wall in view of affinity with a scene of the castle town. And they tried to drop an environment of the castle town like light, wind and scene in three-dimensional into an architecture from a space which come out from there. Internal of the architecture form a space integrated into one which the air volume is large and characterizing each place are bookshelves.
They circle in the building while they curve gently like the flow of water and wind. The arrangement came from taking in an architecture the flow of wind which trend unidirectionally year-round. Bookshelves encourage the movement of visitant by this form and make a space depending on each place by height which changes in various way. They tried to make room which has a feature, for example south open shelves like a light plain, north open shelves like a silent forest and open shelves on the second floor like close cave.
At castle town, the town never extend and the elements of scenes like the section, the width of a road, roof, wall also never change. These things which never change make this city. Based on it, we cross the section and cultivate the site, moreover open the roof and wall to take in the environment of the castle town, and make a place to encourage movement of people. That is opening of the castle town from “Steady order” which the town has. We got a feeling that a new city starts to act from here.
Material Used :
1. Structure in: Reinforced concrete construction, steel construction, and steel framed reinforced concrete structure
2. Facades in: Please refer to Outdoor surfaces
Open-shelves library room
1. Floors：Vinyl weave tile carpet
2. Walls: Painted plasterboard
3. Ceilings: Painted steel expanded metal
1. Floors: Tatami
2. Walls: Perforated non-combustible cedar decorative plate
3. Ceilings: Painted woodwool cement board
Open-shelves library room on the second floor
1. Floors: Tile carpet
2. Walls: Painted plasterboard, glass
3. Ceilings: Painted Steel expanded metal, glass
1. Roof: Phosphoric acid treated stainless plate
2. Walls: Ceramic hybrid fine ultra-low-pollution paint, Painted steel expanded metal on extruded cement board, Painted extruded cement board
3. Floors: Please refer to Indoor surfaces